The Perks of Being a Book Nerd



Since I am an English major turned librarian, it probably comes as no shock to you that I am an avid reader.  Like borderline “need to get out more” reader.  Several weekends ago after blasting through 2 new library books, my boredom left me pacing the house searching for something else to read.  Which led to me bugging my husband, prompting this conversation:

David:  Honey, you just need to check out 8 books at a time from the library so you don’t have this issue again.
Me (a little whiny): I know.  But then I’m going to be like one of those old, weird people who I help at the library.
David (eyebrows raised):  Well……..

Worst open ended statement ever.  But yeah, I’m definitely headed in that “old, weird people” direction.  Meaning: Sometimes I prefer books to humans.  Does that make me a nerd?  Well, yes--it probably does.  I’m cool with it though.

Reading is such a soothing activity for me.  My brain can shut off and soak in someone else’s thoughts or problems for awhile.  I identify quickly with others through the pages of a book.  It is easy, familiar.  In fact, I’ve found only 1 downside to accompany my love of the written word: I’ve started to CARE about reading.  Like really care.  And I desire for this quality to be present in others.  I not only want you TO read, I want you to read things (I deem) worthy of your time (Let’s blame this slightly bossy mindset on my being a firstborn).

Here’s when this causes problems: Christian literature.  Since I work in a library, I see popular books cross my desk several times a day.  So I can say without a doubt that local public interest in “religious” books centers in two main areas: Amish romance -and- the Apocalypse (Now if we could combine those two ideas, I might actually read that book!  We’ll call it “Armagedding Plain Smitten with You”.  Oh my word-please roll your eyes at me).  My beef is this: Jesus-following authors have SO much more to contribute than that!  Listen, I’m not declaring you shouldn’t read books of this kind.  I’ll confess to reading my fair share of Beverly Lewis and Frank Peretti back in the day.  Both fine, prolific Christian authors.  But if we’d like the general public to expand their view of Christianity, there needs to be a buffet of options and authors to choose from instead of a few spotlighted, “acceptable” topics/reads.  Because everyone is different; what speaks to me may not speak to you.  That’s why variety is necessary.  No one has ever been encouraged to take a leap of faith while being boxed in by their limiting choices.

I, obviously, feel strongly about this.  When you combine two of my great loves, Jesus and books, an impassioned speech is likely to ensue.  Instead of imagining these things are being said with an wagging finger, I beg you to picture a helping hand.  I’m sure many out there (like me) find books offer a type of solace that *sometimes* the spoken word fails to give.  So for those few of you who are nodding your heads in agreement (and in the hopes this may help/reach/benefit a searching someone), I’d like to present the 7 big reads of my faith journey so far (And, for the record, I didn’t include the Bible.  I realize the B-I-B-L-E is the correct Sunday School answer to nearly everything, but for this list it’s already assumed.  Duh):

 
1.   Blue Like Jazz-Donald Miller

If you were even slightly cool and went to Christian college, this book was pretty much required reading.  And so I read it.  In college.  The funny thing is that up until that point I had never looked at my faith academically, intellectually, or even as an outsider would.  It was just something I had been raised with, schooled in, and sermonized about since I was very young.  I had a pretty flat world view as far as Jesus was concerned.  This book started chipping away at that.  It encouraged me to consider WHY I believed things, to demonstrate how an intelligent faith could make sense in the real world.  Plus Don was funny and didn’t take himself or his narrative too seriously, which reeled me in like a fish with a worm.  Desperate to discover what simple, authentic faith meant, I believe my resulting quest forward was spurred on in part because of ideas from this book.

 
2.  Traveling Mercies-Anne Lamott

This little gem was required reading for my senior literature review class in college (I just made that class name up, but I’m sure it was called something along those lines.  I’m just too OLD to remember any more).  Reading it was a shock to my system.  She was so hilariously inappropriate and at times even irreverant, but also obviously in love with Jesus.  It was a moth to flame situation; I was transfixed.  Growing up as a weird girl with a set of unique personality traits and a strange brand of humor can be isolating at times.  Anne normalized all that for me.  And while I wouldn’t necessarily recommend her books to everyone (She is NOT conservative in her views and voices her strong opinions throughout her books.  I happen to love a woman with strong opinions ;) ), Traveling Mercies was like a breath of fresh air to me.

 
3.  The Year of Living Biblically-A. J. Jacobs

It’s interesting that the only book on this list with a very religious sounding title was authored by an agnostic.  He attempts to follow all (or most) of the Old Testament commands of the Bible over the course of a year.  Oh my soul, it is funny.  I’ll admit to having my fair share of struggles with the Old Testament of the Bible (and also with the book of Revelation).  It’s like if Jesus isn’t there, what’s the point?  Since the author is Jewish (well he says he is “Jewish” like the Olive Garden is authentically “Italian”), he spends minimal time focusing on the New Testament and (by default) Jesus.  This whole experiment was intriguing to me.  It’s as if things finally clicked.  The point of the struggle, confusion, and difficulty of the Old Testament (displayed hilariously through this story) is clear ONLY when Jesus is involved.  He frees us from those old laws, from having to be “good enough.”  For a renewed understanding and appreciation of this fact, I’d encourage you to check out The Year of Living Biblically.

 
4.  Just Do Something-Kevin DeYoung

The subtitle to this book is “A Liberating Approach To Finding God’s Will.”  We received it as a timely gift in the middle of our battle with infertility and the difficult decisions that process required.  It was a confusing time to say the least.  We really wanted some divine writing in the sky to tell us what to do, to reveal the magical, perfect will of God to us.  This book tears down that kind of thinking and asserts that God’s plan for us isn’t at all mysterious.  I can’t describe what a relief it was to read.  Often the barriers between us and God are ones we’ve placed there ourselves.  This quick read removed a burden from my shoulders I didn’t even know was there.

 
5.  Seven-Jen Hatmaker

Oh Jen, you already know I love her (read more here).  This book about fasting from excess has literally changed my life.  I started reading it in the middle of our application and process to adopt from Ethiopia (Incidentally, Jen started writing Seven during the exact same circumstances in her life) and it struck me to my core.  After realizing the scarcity and extreme need your future child may be born into, it opens your eyes to the harsh reality of the extravagance that surrounds us.  The abundance we don’t even recognize.  That we can enjoy a cup of coffee and a doughnut in our warm, fancy sanctuaries on Sunday, while children and families all over the world struggle to survive.  This dichotomy had slapped me across the face early on in our adoption; Seven just hammered the last nail in the coffin.  Basically- if you want to remain comfortable and unchallenged, you probably shouldn’t read this book.  But if you’d like a glimpse of the heart of Christ, Seven is a great place to start.

 
6.  The Jesus Storybook Bible-Sally Lloyd-Jones

This is a worthy throw in for all the parents out there.  Elijah received it last year for Christmas and we couldn’t have been more pleased (As an aside- Since I am technically a Children’s librarian, my standards for kid’s books are even higher than normal books.  Read: I am snobby about it.  The writing and illustration of this Bible satisfies even my high requirements).  Each story told (with reference verses listed on the top of each page), whether in Old or New Testament, weaves in the story of Christ.  As it says on the cover, “Every story whispers His Name.”  The nuances that could be lost on children reading through our Bibles, are made apparent in the pages of this great book.  I think it is a great starter Bible, or addition to the Bible, for kids a little young to decipher their parent’s version of the Scripture by themselves.



 
7.  Kisses From Katie-Katie Davis

Last but not least, here’s the final entry of my list so far.  I had known for awhile I wanted to read this book, but just finished it within the past six months (initially blogged about here).  Let me say that Katie is my role model; this girl is spectacular (although she would humbly give credit to Jesus instead of herself).  She ventured to Uganda as a young, single female and started a non-profit ministry there to provide educational resources to underprivileged children.  Her unrelenting aid to the sick (which some would consider reckless as far as her own health is concerned) is nothing short of Jesus-stuff.  I believe if we who call ourselves “Christians” acted with the same spiritual aplomb Katie demonstrates on a daily basis, the world would truly be changed.

So there you have it-my journey in a nutshell.  I hope that as a result of my sharing, one of these books may speak to your situation in a way I cannot.  And it’s a great resolution for the new year: To READ more (If I had glasses, I’d push them down my nose and give you the unrelenting librarian stare)!  For increased motivation, just remember those classic lines, “I can be anything! Take a look, it's in a book: A Reading Rainbow (How can you argue with that?  Yay for the 80’s and LeVar Burton)!”  Wishing you and yours a happy, healthy, and literary 2014.


My best attempt at being a librarian-Halloween costume of 2012 (P.S. The glasses are fake!).

Comments

Popular Posts