Let's Fast Really Fast....

Fasting.  Abstaining.  Just reading those words makes me cringe a little inside.  For those of us who enjoy a little (okay, A LOT) of excess in our lives, the thought of purposefully giving something up seems counter-intuitive.  And let’s face it, it also seems a little dumb.  


So proceeding forward with fear and trembling, David and I participated in the One Meal-One Day event (mentioned in a previous post).  This event, hosted by Compassion International (who we, incidentally, sponsor a child through), called for people to skip one meal on March 27th.  The money we would have spent on lunch that day got donated instead to Compassion’s efforts in other countries.  This year the profits raised will help to provide “extraordinary food interventions” to Ethiopia’s impoverished children.  Obviously a cause close to our own hearts...and stomachs (especially on THAT day).


Considering that I am fresh off of a Facebook fast for Lent, giving up something for the “greater good” isn’t exactly new territory.  Many churches (ours included) start the new year with a fast of some kind, hoping to refocus the congregation’s thoughts/goals for the months ahead of them.  Sound completely ridiculous?  How can missing out on Facebook or skipping lunch be honorable or even reverent?  Because it just sounds plain annoying!


Well, I agree.  It does sound that way.  As an outsider looking in- the concept of fasting can seem to border on not only weirdness, but also self deprivation in the worst kind of way.  “Anorexia for Jesus” as my girl Tricia bluntly put it.  And yes, I DO think that people can misuse abstinence for their own purposes.  Some treat it as a test of their own self control instead of an attitude barometer.  I mean, that was ME on my first several attempts of observing the season of Lent.  I gave up ice cream (those who know me well understand what a sacrifice this was), but NOT to know Jesus better (although that is the point of participating in Lent).  I was hoping to drop a few pounds; there’s my ugly inner truth exposed.  This exercise of self control isn’t necessarily bad (when done the right way), but it definitely wasn’t fasting...it was dieting in the name of Jesus.  Big difference.


Are you completely freaked out about fasting now?  Please don’t take my meanderings as the final word on the subject, I would suggest reading “7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess” by Jen Hatmaker.  If you are looking for a new, hilarious best friend that isn’t me (or one of my besties), I would suggest her.  Jen is smart, spiritual, witty, and an adoptive momma of 2 Ethiopian children to boot!  The first time I read 7, I consumed it.  As in finished-it-in-one-day, reading like a crazy person until my eyes were blurred and watery.

Me being weird while holding my book-a normal occurrence.

And here’s what I learned from the book: Fasting is not about what we “give up”.  It is not about US at all--and if you think it is, you’ve missed the point.  Fasting should be “an intentional reduction, a deliberate abstinence to summon God’s movement in my life.  A fast creates margin for God to move...A fast is not necessarily something we offer God, but it assists us in offering ourselves.”  It is a heart attitude and openness, a deliberate seeking of Jesus by setting aside a little of our comfort.  


On March 27th, that is what David and I humbly attempted.  During my would be lunch on that day, I prayed my heart out for the people of Ethiopia.  For those adults and children who have struggled in ways I will never know.  Every time my stomach growled, I thought of our daughter’s birth mother.  I prayed for her health and safety.  And as I prepared a traditional Ethiopian meal for dinner that night, I prayed for the adoption process.  That it would go as smoothly as possible, so we can safely bring our daughter home to us soon.


Over dinner that night (P.S. It was SO awesome, I’m including the recipe below), I noticed the difference in myself.  Looking around at my family digging into the meal together, I knew my focus had changed.  That day wasn’t about ME giving up my lunch, it was about the gift of the fast.  A gift, to be able to CHOOSE to skip a meal instead of having that choice thrust upon you because of famine or poverty.  A gift, to have income enough to help provide life’s necessities to people who have so little.  A gift, to pray for and honor the country that will eventually give us one of the greatest treasures of all--our little girl.   



Yep-we are pretty cute, but not complete...yet!


Ethiopian Vegetable Stew


2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Large red onion, finely chopped
2 Carrots, finely chopped
1 Large potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or chili powder is what I used)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cardamom (or mix equal parts cinnamon and nutmeg for a substitute)
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed (if you are lazy, just use the whole can!)
1 1/2 cups water
I cup frozen peas, thawed


Directions:  Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add onion and cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the carrots and potato, cover and cook 10 minutes longer.  Then stir in cayenne, ginger, salt, pepper, cumin, cardamom, and tomato paste.  Add chickpeas and water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and the flavor develops-about 30 minutes, adding a bit more water if needed.  About 10 minutes before stew is ready, stir in green peas and taste to adjust seasonings.

The nice thing about this recipe is that it is meat/peanut/dairy/gluten free for those of you who have food allergies/aversions or have family members who do.  Instead of adding extra water at the end, I really cooked it down and served it over rice.  Delicious!!

Comments

Popular Posts