Riding the "Fair"-is Wheel


Life’s not fair.  Saying those words is like breathing at my house.  We’ve sung/told Elijah, “You can’t always get what you waaannt” so often, that now we have to reprimand him for rudely repeating that phrase to us or his friends at inopportune times (You’ve seen the e-card that says, “That awkward moment when you discipline your child for acting exactly like you.”  Oops!).  Sometimes though, I’d like to stomp my foot and scream about it too.  Because life isn’t fair, it isn’t right, and that’s frustrating!


You can't always get what you waaaaant!


Last week we got the pleasure of driving 1 ½ hours to Baltimore for a crack o’ dawn fingerprinting appointment set up by the State department.  I won’t even tell you how much we paid to participate in this joyous event (although the grand total is probably more than what David’s car is worth at this point).  Just another hoop to jump through for the adoption.  I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that the difficulties of this process make us want to throw in the towel from time to time.  It shouldn’t be this hard to bring our daughter home, it just shouldn’t.


However, that’s not even the tip of the injustice iceberg.  Poverty.  Famine.  War.  Sickness.  Not to go all Tim LaHaye on you, but living in this world is rough.  And that perspective, although true, can easily make one feel bogged down or hopeless.


Suffering is the common cord that binds us all.  This produces dissatisfaction since we are justice seekers, bent on searching out what’s right among the wrongs.  A hope amidst the daily humdrum.  I believe we were intentionally created this way, hardwired to seek meaning through a “savior”.  Although the word “savior” could mean many different things to many different people, I’d suggest that it is whatever gets you through the day.  The glue you use to piece together your shattered life.  Kids, employment, a spouse, food, romance, intellect, entertainment.  Regardless of whether you acknowledge it or not, you are putting your faith and trust in SOMETHING.  Also I’d wager money (HA-not sure where said money would come from, but still...) that if your “something” resides solely on this planet, it will eventually disappoint you.  Listen: It’s no secret that our world is irreparable, flawed.  Look at the latest headlines if you disagree with me.  And if we concede that point, then we’d also have to deduce that this earth is a breeding ground for broken things.  Everything fails in time.


Now for the good part.  Voiced by Jesus in John 16:33, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."  So often we look for a savior at eye level, making our choice from the best of creation’s options.  A band aid instead of a Healer.  Set your past decisions aside and let’s reevaluate.  Doesn’t it just make sense to trust the Creator over the created?  He’s the brains of the operation; He started this whole shebang AND it’s under his control-not yours or mine (much to my chagrin).  If we place His responsibility in someone/something else’s hands, not only will it ensure future disappointments- it WILL certainly keep us from the satisfaction and “peace of God, which surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7).”  So basically, it’s a lose-lose.  Based on that less-than-stellar summary, I’ll offer a crazy solution: Let go and let God (Cliche and kinda cheesy?  Probably.  Regardless, it remains a good idea and is considerably better than me picking a catchphrase from Carrie Underwood’s “Jesus, Take the Wheel”!  So, you’re welcome).


Okay.  We put Jesus in the driver’s seat.  But there’s still injustice in the world, what’s up with that?  Well, first of all, I don’t have an answer yet.  It is definitely on my Top Ten list of annoying things I want God to audibly explain to me.  However, there are 2 big concepts that have helped me work through this injustice issue in my own life.  Perspective and participation.


Perspective.  Here’s a recent example: I H.A.T.E. the carpet in our back room.  It reeks of the 1970’s in all its orangey-brown, over-designed, geometric glory.  Seriously, it is like one of those “Magic Eye” pictures (but WAY uglier) and if you stare at it long enough a Petra band member could jump out at you.  Anyways.  We’ve been wanting to change it ever since moving into our house 2 years ago.  Aaand it never happened (You have projects like this, right?).  Cue 2013- We told ourselves this was the year!  Our tax refunds were consecrated to making the room renovation happen.  Then we got this giant dog.  In my math, Giant dog+Fenced in yard=Everyone’s happiness.  So, flooring funds have been rerouted to be fence funds.  While I realize this is NOT a huge deal, my excessive whining/complaining would say otherwise.  I have to step back and ask myself: Is our ugly carpet causing children all over the world to starve?  Is it negatively impacting our family life or health?  Is it responsible for AIDS, cancer, or any other horrific diseases?  Obviously, no.  Then my friends, this is NOT a crisis or an injustice.  Ahhhh, sweet perspective.

Here it is in all its horrible splendor!

Participation.  I’ll keep this short and sweet.  Oftentimes (as Jesus followers) when we see injustice in the world, we cross our arms, tap our feet, and wait for God to intervene.  When people ask us “Why do bad things happen to good people?”, we shrug our shoulders and give the heavens a confused look.  On Facebook an atheist friend of mine once posted the quote, “Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.”  Ouch!  And while I disagree with that statement, I DO believe inaction speaks volumes.  Although prayer is powerful, lazy churches are also a powerful statement to the world.  Because as believers, WE are God’s hands and feet on earth.  When we refuse to go, act, or speak in Jesus’ name on the behalf of victims of injustice, we hinder their access to the very One whose love they need so seriously.


This is heavy stuff, so let me end simply by telling an Elijah story.  Several weekends ago David took a trip, so Elijah made an extensive battle drawing to welcome him home (because what could be more welcoming than weapons?). Unfortunately, he stumbled and dropped his masterpiece on the way into our house.  The wind was crazy that day AND I was wearing high heels, so I knew it was a lost cause.  In heartbreaking movie style, we watched his picture get whipped down the street and into oblivion.  You can (rightly) imagine there was an epic number of tears shed.  But that was a couple of weeks ago, so I was surprised when he brought it up on our way home from church Sunday.


Elijah:  I cried last night.
Me: Honey, what were you crying about?
Elijah: Do you remember when I lost that picture?
Me: Yes, I remember.  But why don’t you just think about happy things?
Elijah: Because I want to remember both happy and sad things.


I too want the happy and the sad, the good and the bad.  Because the pain and injustice of this earth helps me remember to not get comfortable here.  This world is NOT my home.  Our lives will never be perfect on this side of heaven and that’s okay.  Use that knowledge as a motivation, not a deterrent.  We are the body of Christ, it’s time we started speaking truth, helping without condition, healing hearts, and teaching hope to a world desperate for a Savior.  And when-only when-we start living that way, will Justice truly be served.

Puzzle Update: Here's the post Easter progress at 395 pieces in.....
And here we are pre-Father's Day: 441 pieces in, just 59 to go!  Click here to get your pin before they are all gone!



Comments

Popular Posts